Eight Beynon Sports Products Receive USDA BioPreferred® Certification
When it comes to manufacturing excellence, Beynon Sports has been an industry-leader for over 40 years. Recently, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has certified that eight of the company’s products now meet or exceed minimum USDA-certified biobased content for polyurethane coatings. All eight coatings contain a minimum of 25% biobased content, a certification requirement.
Biobased products are commercial or industrial goods other than food or feed that the USDA has determined to be composed (in whole or in significant part) of biological products, forestry materials or renewable domestic agricultural materials. For the Beynon systems, the biobased content is primarily plant-based.
Meet Beynon Sports’ USDA-certified biobased products:
- Beypur 440: Two-component polyurethane wear layer used in Beynon Sports’ PolyTurf, PolyTurf Plus, and PolyTurf Plus Pad & Pour systems.
- Beypur 500: Two-component polyurethane spike resistant wear layer used in Beynon Sports’ PolyTurf SP, PolyTurf Plus SP, and PolyTurf Plus Pad & Pour systems.
- Beypur 420: Two-component polyurethane pore sealer used in Beynon Sports’ PolyTurf Plus Pad & Pour system
- Beypur 250: Two-component polyurethane wear layer used in Beynon Sports’ BSS 300, BSS 1000, and BSS 2000 systems.
- Beybond 50: Two-component polyurethane adhesive used in Beynon Sports’ PolyTurf Plus Pad & Pour and other athletic surfacing systems. The Beybond 50 is supplied to fellow Tarkett Sports company, FieldTurf, as the coating material for their world leading artificial turf systems.
- Beypur 240: Two-component polyurethane encapsulated wear layer used in Beynon Sports’ BSS 300, BSS 1000, and BSS 2000 systems.
- Beypur 200: Two-component polyurethane seal layer used in Beynon Sports’ BSS 200 and BSS 300 systems.
- Beypur 280: Two -component polyurethane shock absorbing layer used in Beynon Sports’ BSS 1000, BSS 2000, and BSS 4000 systems.
“The independent testing and certification of these products brings additional validity to what we’ve been doing for years,” says Mike Gasparovic, Vice President – Plant Operations and R&D, Beynon Sports. “We’ve always been on the cutting edge, leading the charge in our industry in providing products that are most environmentally sustainable and friendly materials available. And we’ll continue to push that envelope as technology continues to advance.”
The new certification also allows indoor and outdoor facilities with Beynon surfaces featuring the designated polyurethane coatings to qualify for additional LEED credits through the U.S Green Building Council, Gasparovic adds.
According to the USDA, biobased products increase the use of renewable resources while decreasing use of non-renewable resources. The BioPreferred® Program is intended to spur economic development, create new jobs and provide new markets for farm commodities while decreasing reliance on petroleum. More than 3,000 companies in all 50 states participate in the program, and there are more than 4,500 USDA Certified Biobased Products.
Beynon Sports is a world leader in track and field surfacing with over 7,500 installations in North America in the last 10 years. Beynon Sports has been at the surface of the most significant moments in track & field: 2022 World Athletics Championships, 2022 Commonwealth Games, and NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships, to name a few.
Beynon Sports is the leading manufacturer of World Athletics Class I Certified Facilities in the United States.